Now that this arduous project is finished, I’m putting together a build guide for those of you that hadn’t been following it on facebook (http://www.facebook.com/VorpalProps) to have it all in one place for organization sake. The original start of this project was a request from the winner of a contest I held back in November.
I started by gathering references and drafting a pattern in photoshop because I don’t know illustrator. :P
(Its not the prettiest but it got the job done)
After drafting the pattern I began by cutting the blade shape and handle out of a piece of 2mm SIntra and 2 pieces of .040 polystyrene.
(Bird not included)
The detailing gave me some difficulty until I invested in a heat knife that uses razor blade heads. Using a school glue stick, I glued the patterns over the styrene and slowly cut them out.The fragile nature of how small the detailing would be made many of the sections fragile, so I had to go slow and carefully.
(the orange lines were indicators for where I would not cut to keep a piece from being completely islanded until after it was glued to the main knife.)
Once both pieces has been cut, I sanded the back sides to reduce the melted plastic build up and super glued them to the main piece. Then once attached sanded the top sides carefully to remove the build up from the heat knife. Over several days I would use small files and exacto knives, putty and sand paper to clean up the detailing until I had a finished piece I liked.
(this is one of the earlier clean up pics)
I ended up cutting the handle shape off to make it an insertable blade. Making the blade and handle separate for easier casting. Once the blade was cleaned up and primered, I moved on to the handle. I lathed a separate piece for the top of the handle out of layered sintra. I vacuum formed this piece on top using .060 polystyrene to create a cap to make the lettering engravings. Cutting the patterns out with the precision heat knife and sanding and cleaning up before gluing.
I didn’t really think to take pictures of this process…
The handle was made using layed sintra and apoxie sculpt. I glued the outer layer pieces over the original handle piece I had attached to the blade to create a hollow slot for it. The I layered up for proper bulk and sanded it clean. Filling imperfections it with bondo as necessary. I went for a clean undetailed handle first before adding any of the trim. After drawing the patterns on the blade I added thin strips of apoxie scult for the detailing.
(or as everyone has been dubbing it, tribal didlo)
Once applied and fully dried, I sanded it to create a more flush, flat and even patterning, then cleaned it up using an exacto knife, bits of sand paper and mini files. I also went back and filled any parts necessary with more apoxie scult or bits of super glaze.
(I fitted a casted blade into the master for reference)
After I finished primering the handle and doing final clean up, I created box molds for the blade and the handle. (technically I built the blade box
while finishing the handle) The molds were made using #smooth-on’s mold max 20.
The molds were relative successes with virtually no errors. So then I started casting.
I did some paint testing until I found a color scheme I liked…
Once I decided on the paints I put one of the blades into the handle and adhered it by filling the space in the handle and the blade with more polyurethane resin. The gaps were filled and painted up proper and a bloody stain on the blade was added for good measure.
I picked up this cool special effect makeup book and thought I should scanned some of the cool stuff in it. Sorry if you can’t read the text. just let me know and I can just type out what it say.
These are really great resources! But if you reblog, try to tag this with some warning (TW: cutting works) because this makeup is good and may hurt and disturb some of your followers.
I have this book! (The Japanese version) it has some other really gnarley stuff in it too..